Thursday, August 13, 2015

https://www.etsy.com/listing/244070314/vintage-cemetery-vases-green-metal?ref=shop_home_active_1





Today we cover a very specific style of vintage shopping which could be called, technically speaking, um...stealing.

The fabulous shabby green vases above are an example from my past.

My family spent many Sunday afternoons in my youth riding through Hanover County, Virginia. 

My mom and dad loved to stop at abandoned houses, dumps, any place where there might be TREASURE.

And we did find some wonderful treasures.

We often stopped at the church where my great grandparents and other ancient relations were buried in a lovely shady cemetery. I loved the place, reputed to be haunted by the ghosts of slaves and Thomas Nelson Page, an interesting combination. 

On one Sunday visit, my mother spied the trash pile, heaped high with inviting rusty green things. These turned out to be about 50 really cool spiked cemetery vases. The church had apparently bought a like number of sad looking plastic ones and called it progress.  

Mom  scooped the metal vases up with glee and instructed my father to pile them into the back of our Chevy station wagon.

Somehow, she never figured out what to do with them and last Christmas, I suggested that, after about 40 years, it might be time to clear the box out of the attic.

Numerous crafters have been thrilled to turn them into Christmas trees.

Why didn't we think of that? Probably we were too busy looking for more treasure. For us, that is the fun part. 


No comments:

Post a Comment