Sunday, December 20, 2015

Yesterday was possibly my last thrifting trip before Christmas, and it was a successful one.

I  am making snow globes for gifts this year out of old Ball jars, mostly blue ones. I still need to make one for my son's girlfriend, but I am all out of jars. So I headed to one of my favorite quick stops, CHKD Thrift on Broad St. in RVA. I love to shop in this store and support its very worthy cause, the Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters, a cancer hospital for children.

I headed first to the still copious supply of Christmas merchandise. There I found a gift  for myself --- 8 matching cloth Christmas napkins from the 1960's. They feature bright red and green Currier and Ives type folk on a white background. I always use mismatched cloth napkins on my Christmas table and never dreamed of having 8 that match!

With a happy heart, I headed to the checkout. Oops! With embarrassment, I asked the chaser to hold my napkins while I went to look for the item that I had come into the store to find, the jar. Heading to the glass section, I first spied a FLOW BLUE PLATE.   What? in a thrift store? The joy of this find is that my son tries to buy his grandmother a piece of flow blue each Christmas to add to her collection. This year, he has found none. He was pretty delighted by my text telling him that I had found a plate, in excellent condition, for $2.98.

In close proximity to the plate, I found a 2 quart Ball jar, not blue, but definitely old, complete with its metal top. It cost 98 cents. Key the Hallelujah Chorus here.

CHKD is a fabulous stop for interesting last minute gifts. Check it out if you are in Central VA.

Good luck with your last minute Christmas preparations! Take a minute, when you can, to tune out the lights, the canned Christmas carols, and the car commercials, and look for the baby in the manger.

Merry Christmas,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment